It is a multinational British banking entity with many years of history that offers a wide variety of banking and financial products and services. It specializes in personal banking, corporate banking, investment management and asset management.
Table of Contents
Its history began in the 1690s thanks to John Freame and Thomas Gould. In 1736, it acquired the name of Barclays due to the incorporation of James Barclay. The firm began to be called Barclay, Bevan and Bening in 1776 but when John Tritton married to a member of the Barclay family, it changed to Barclay, Bevan, Bening and Tritton. It began to grow through acquisitions of English banks in the 1900s and 1910. Also, during those years, it merged with London, Provincial and South Western Bank and bought the British Linen Bank.
Under the name of Barclays Bank, it operated from abroad the institution formed by the merger of the Colonial Bank, the National Bank of South Africa and the Anglo-Egyptian Bank in 1925. Barclays Bank International was established, and in 1980, it expanded its services and business. It acquired American Credit Corporation (now Barclays American Corporation). In 1981, Barclays Bank International merged with Barclays Bank and formed Barclays PLC. In 2004, it assumed the sponsorship of the English football league (Premier League). In 2008, it acquired Lehman Brothers. It has grown tremendously thanks to the acquisitions it makes continuously.
The route number consists of 9 digits that represent the efficiency and guarantee in a bank transfer: 026002574.
Number of Employees
The bank has approximately 79,900 employees.
The rating is the evaluation of a bank and the risks it can take in case of not paying a debt. Moody’s, S&P, and Fitch are the agencies in charge of it.
Barclays has a rating of:
- Moody’s = Baa3.
- S&P = BBB.
- Fitch = A.
Baa3 (Moody’s) = It has moderate credit risk.
BBB (S&P Global) = It is medium level, but they are in a good situation.
A (Fitch) = It has great solvency capacity and low risk of default.
The headquarters of the entity is in the city of London, United Kingdom.
If you want to know more about this bank, enter through its website: https://www.barclays.co.uk/.
- Personal banking: It offers a wide variety of banking services that include opening and handling of accounts, credit cards, loans, overdrafts, tips, savings, investments, mortgages, insurance (home, life, travel), advice and more.
- Business banking: It allows commercial employees to profitably manage their business, savings accounts, foreign currency accounts, paperwork, fraud protection, debit cards, borrowing, mortgages, property financing, billing, payments, collections and businesses in abroad.
- Premier banking: It offers banking services, premier accounts, loans, credit cards, savings, investments, mortgages, insurance and more.
- Address: 1 Churchill Place, Canary Wharf, London, E14 5HP
- Phone Number: +44 24 7684 2100